Sunday 23 June 2013

Summer Vegetable Stock


When I made herb and garlic today, I had lots of stalks from the herbs left and didn't want just throw them out. There were also other items in the fridge that need to be used somehow, e. g. asparagus stalks and a couple of overripe tomatoes. I've no idea how this stock will taste but I'm sure it'll be lovely. ;)

Makes 1.75 l of stock.

the woody parts of 500 g of green asparagus
stalks of a selection of herbs, in this case from a couple of handfuls of flat leaf parsley, coriander, dill, fennel and thyme
3 carrots
3 fennel sticks
1 onion
2 tomatoes
1 whole-bulb garlic
1 tsp back pepper corns
1.5 l boiling water

Coarsely chop all the ingredients, place in a saucepan. Add the pepper corns and boiling water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for approx. 45 minutes until the carrots are tender. Drain and squeeze as much of the goodness out of the vegetables before discarding them.

If you want to do this more quickly, coarsely great all the vegetables. That way your stock is ready in 15-20 minutes.

Incidentally, I didn't forget to list salt. I prefer to add salt as needed depending on what I use the stock for and the ingredients added.

No comments:

Post a Comment